Monday, January 23, 2006

Flying Fox

The other morning I was wake listening to the birds around 4:30 AM. I decided to look out the window and I saw what I thought was a lot of birds flying over the homes. There was a very large amount of them as it looked like a highway or a river of black in the early dawn. The river in the sky was very wide and went all the way across the visible area. I watched what I though were birds flying for about 20 minutes before they were all gone. I reckon about 100000 would have gone by in that time. When I told Beth she said I must have been dreaming.

The next morning I got Beth up to see this phenomena. This time they were further away and harder to see. Beth had a hard time seeing them so still did not believe me.

Last night around 7:15 pm Beth happened to look up and the sky was filled with these black flying birds. This time they were going in the opposite direction. Beth went out on the street to look at them and got talking to one of the neighbors. The neighbor indicated that they were bats. They are referred to as Flying Foxes. He said they spend the day on an island and at night go hunting. He had not seen them in such an amount before.

This is just one of the many examples of the different types of flora and fauna that can be seen here.

Bribie Island Course. This course is offered in your guide book as a 2 for 1. It is a good value as the green fee thus becomes $15 a person. I have wanted to play it for a while because it is ranked in the top 100 in Australia. The last time I was there we got rained out.

For us, the drive was about 90 minutes.

The greens were very good. The bunkers on the course were excellent and well groomed. There was no water and the fairways were wide. How ever the fairways were only ok as they had what I would refer to weeds and the first cut was not thick and of different length. The rough was typical of many country courses, that is sandy, and patches of grass with heaps of gum tree leaves. Most time balls are easy to find. Cart paths were poor and tee boxes ok. Some of the holes looked the same as others. I had to rank the course below Horton Park and Tewantin. It was of the same quality as Mt Coolum, Colundra and Headlands. I think it is worth 3 stars. Do not know how it got rated as top 100. Good value but do not go out of your way to play.

The day had blue sky and the temperature was around 28. Walked and carried my clubs but I was happy to finish as the sun was taking it's toll on me. Jim felt good and the two ladies took a power cart. The power carts give you a very welcome breeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home